08 February 2010

Quick sports thoughts

This is totally unorganized and possibly incoherent, since it's 3:30 am. I may write more later. I may not. But for now.....

That was one of the best, most competitive Super Bowls that I’ve ever seen. I am so, so, so, so glad that the Saints won. I said on Twitter in the first quarter: “You know how I said I would be okay if the Colts won? Apparently I lied.”

The final score does not reflect the game. It does reflect the fourth quarter. That was an amazing interception. When the two-minute warning started, I thought for a little while that Peyton Manning would be able to pull it off, especially after the Saints penalty. All it would have taken would have been a quick touchdown, an onside kick recovered by the Colts, and one long Manning completion, and it would have been different. But the Saints defense stepped up and stopped them.

I also said to various people that it’s too bad that the coach can’t be the MVP. Drew Brees deserves it, no question, but the unusual play-calling was such a factor in the win: the onside kick to start the second half (seriously, who does that?) and the challenge on the 2-point conversion (which I’m very glad did not end up being the game-winning play, because it would have sparked off the whole challenge/replay debate AGAIN) are the two most obvious examples, but through the whole thing it was a very tight and well-called game.

I love The Who, so I liked the halftime show. It felt a bit incomplete, though – although maybe that was just because I knew it was only half the Who. Townshend is still awesome, and seemed to windmill every time he could. Daltrey may not be quite as perfect as he was a few decades ago, but can still bring it. Now I want to play Rock Band…..

Obviously I didn’t see any of the commercials. Apparently I didn’t miss much. Interesting (and kind of sad) that one of the best-played Super Bowl games was one of the worst in terms of the advertising.

Bring on the Olympics! Once again I am in the UK when the Winter Olympics are in North America. I anticipate a looooot of curling airtime, and a lot of late nights trying to catch figure skating and skiing.

1 comment:

Camillagoe said...

If previous years are anything to go by, there'll be plenty of skiing (this is the nation that was slightly obsessed by 'Ski Sunday' for a while)- can't promise on the skating though!