17 June 2009

Interesting things from my RSS feeds the last few days

“At the same time, however, it's hard not to wonder why a government that is confident it won fair and square would authorize police to beat citizens with abandon, shut down opposition headquarters and various news and social networking outlets, and arrest over 100 reformist politicians.” [Huffington Post article about the current situation in Iran]

NPR Monkey See Blog: The Shelf of Constant Reproach
For a long time, I didn’t have a shelf of constant reproach. Almost every book on my bookshelves was a book that I’d read, most of them several times. Now, of course, I have a bit of reproach staring at me. It’s not too bad yet; it’s only been in the last semester that I’ve gotten behind on my reading for pleasure, and I was even able to cull out the books that I knew I wasn’t going to get to and take them to the bookcrossing site on campus.

What I do have is a list of constant reproach. There are so many lists out there of ‘books you should read’ or ‘books that changed the world’ or ‘best books of xxxx’. And I’ve read a lot of them, but not all of them. And some of them I know I won’t read (anything by Joyce or Faulkner…really, anything experimentally modernist) but a lot of them I want to. And then there are all the books that have been published in the last, say, ten or fifteen years that I hear about and want to read. My list of ‘books I want to read’ is so freakishly long, and gets longer every day. I need a better filtering system for it.

APOD
I found this via Twitter. It’s gorgeous. And the archive goes back to 1995! I so do not have enough time these days to go back through it all but what I’ve seen so far is gorgeous.

Music and Emotion
Music and Neuroscience

Living Abroad
HAHAHAHA!!! I win.

Tips for 20-somethings
I still have problems with more than a few of these.

No comments: